EDU Quick Tip — Use a Powtoon to Introduce Tough Topics
One of the most amazing things about animation is its power to take the sting out of controversial or daunting subjects. As with so many things, first impressions matter. That’s why teachers tell us every day that they use Powtoon to introduce tough topics to their students.
Tough Topics Can Derail You
Teachers are always thinking about the overall dynamic of their classroom. Keeping that dynamic moving in a positive direction, no matter what, is a major challenge. And that enthusiasm and positive group dynamic you need to help foster with your students can be easily derailed by topics that are difficult, sad or hard to reconcile.
Taking some time to introduce a tough theme is essential. And teachers tell us nothing makes an impact like using a Powtoon. I’ve compiled some of the suggestions that real teachers have shared with us to get the most out of introducing tough topics.
Introducing Tough Topics — Your EDU Quick Tip in Action
The next time you’re introducing a unit to discuss the villain of a story, an historical time of upheaval, or challenging topics that students would usually run from, try creating a Powtoon to introduce the subject. As you do, keep an eye on these guidelines:
- Keep it short. Shoot for no more than two minutes in length. Remember, you’re setting the stage for the discussion, not replacing it entirely!
- Set the stage. Define the scope of the discussion you’re about to have with your class.
- Give it some character. Use characters the students will identify with. If you use this technique multiple times during the year, consider keeping running characters (heroes!) who reappear in each introduction.
- Empower your students! After the discussion, ask your students to create a Powtoon to summarize what they learned. When your students use the same medium that helped them get oriented to share the knowledge they discovered along the way, they gain confidence and independence.
- Share the awesomeness! Consider creating a class YouTube channel to showcase your students’ work. Sharing their creativity will give your students confidence and digital media skills that will serve them for a lifetime.
Let me know how you introduce tough topics to your students in this comment section!
Bring Awesomeness to Your Classroom!
Latest posts by Nick Liebman (see all)
- #MakeItAwesome — Halloween Edition: What Is the Most Awesome Halloween Costume? [Video] - October 16, 2017
- #MakeItAwesome — Summer Vacay Edition: What Is the Most Awesome Summer Vacation? [Video] - August 21, 2017
- EDU Quick Tip — Use a Powtoon to Introduce Tough Topics - August 16, 2017
- 4 Awesome Teachers Making Major Waves in EDU with Powtoon - August 16, 2017